Skip to main content

Learning Language

Sometimes I don't know why I need to learn Greek and Hebrew in such many credit hours. I always hate learning languages. My Chinese, which is my mother tongue, is not good. Also, my English is bad. Unfortunately, the Holy Bible is written in Hebrew and Greek.

##CONTINUE##Now I'm in my summer Hebrew class. Many people told me that learning Hebrew is much easier than learning Greek, but I just don't know where the easier part is. The benefit is my English improved. I have hard time memorizing Hebrew vocab. The pronunciation, I think they are all the same.

However, My Hebrew teacher Dr. Dennis R. Magary, he is an wonderful teacher. He doesn't throw tons of language rules to you. Instead, he helps me loving Hebrew. In his handout, I found an interesting article.

Our Glorious Language

We'll begin with box and the plural is boxes,
But the plural of ox should be oxen, not oxes;
Then one fowl is a goose but two are called geese.
Yet the plural of moose should never be meese.
You may find a lone mouse or a whole set of mice,
Yet the plural of house is houses not hice.
If the plural of man is always called men,
Why shouldn't the plural of pan be called pen?
If I speak of a foot and you show me your feet,
And I give you a boot, would a pair be called beet?
If one is a tooth and a whole set are teeth,
Why should not the plural of booth be called beeth?
Then one may be that, and three would be those,
Yet hat in the plural wouldn't be hose.
And the plural of cat is cats and not cose.
We speak of a brother and also of brethren,
But though we say Mother, we never say Methren.
Then the masculine pronouns are he, his, and him,
But imagine the feminine she, shis, and shim,
So English, I fancy you all will agree,
Is the silliest language you ever did see.

-- Author unknown
One thing is encouraging: "Test is not Hebrew, Hebrew is in the Bible," He said.

Comments

銀色焦點 said…
Can you speak Chinese??? :p
Steven Han said…
當然!寫英文純粹是練習用的。
Eltice Lin said…
好啊~像我都speak chinese!!
jaybox said…
How was your summer Hebrew class? I am debating whether or not to take it.
Steven Han said…
Take it if you're or will be a minister. It takes time but do helps a lot.